Friday, November 30, 2012

These kids are too smart for me

I've been worrying about Forster lately.  Maybe because I don't have anything better to do.  But mostly, it's because he's a boy and my only previous mothering-of-a-3-year-old experience has been with a very different girl.

I've gotten out my Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons book because that's how I taught Solei to read - of course, I don't think I used it the first time until just before she turned 4 and Forster is just barely 3, but I'm anxious.  Is it even possible with him??  So far he's done well.  His attention span isn't as long as hers, we muddle through, just slower than the first time.  I love that book because I'm a big fan of phonics.  Who isn't? 

But I've started to realize one of the reasons why Solei was so fast was because she's a visual learner - she sees something and knows it immediately -  and Forster is kinesthetic.  And while the book involves him touching the page a lot, I realized I need to supplement it with some movement activities.  I've been slightly obsessed with it since I know nothing about it.  So this morning I looked up some activities found this great blog post on what sight words to teach and why.  We've been blessed with some great homeschool friends that donated their old materials and I have a TON of flash cards for all subjects.  I got out some beginning words and put them around the floor and had him find me whatever word I told him.

I thought we'd work up to five, but he already knew five.  In fact, we were up to 30 before I decided we should take a break.  I have no idea where he learned all these words.  I go in two mornings a week to help out in Solei's kindergarten class and Forster is already ahead of most of the kids there.  Good golly, Jared's smart genes are strong with these two.

So now, he's starting violin lessons, is well on his way to reading like a champ, and I have yet to get him fully potty trained.  My priorities are so messed up :)

1 comment:

  1. Which is weird, because potty training is TOTALLY a kinesthetic experience.
    However, I have heard that some gamers forget to use the bathroom because they are so involved with the game, so maybe that's part of it?

    ReplyDelete