Sunday, October 26, 2008

To move or not to move...

SO – we almost moved (again). This time to Texas.

I got a call a few months ago from a headhunter that I talked to a few years ago when I left Motorola. He asked if I was interested in a role in Austin Texas. I promptly told him I was not. I’d lived in Texas before and so had the wife and we weren’t all that excited about the idea.

Well, a few days later I got a email anyway – from a small company in Austin called Apple Computer. It seems they launched the iPhone in Brazil and needed someone to manage the customer relationships. Well, that kind of overshadowed the Texas aspect. After a few phone interviews, Reva and I were on a plane to check out Austin and I would do some interviews.

Apple loved me. The recruiter and I worked out the details of the package they would be offering. We looked at real estate in Austin.

Meanwhile things at work were going downhill. It really looked like we were moving.

My boss and I have an excellent relationship. We talked and he didn’t want me to leave.

The CEO felt the same way when he found out. I met on Monday with the CEO who told me he wanted me to stay. We had a good talk and I told him what I thought I could do – given the chance.

Long story short – my company made me an offer to stay. I accepted. We plan to have 3 new hires (in addition to another one we just did) in the next month. I finally see light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you for all of your prayers for us (those of you who knew). We greatly appreciate it.

7 comments:

  1. I totally understand your unexcitement about Texas. Not my favorite place to live either. Especially when compared to Georgia.
    I'm glad things worked out for the best at your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it is funny, Austin has one of the better Universities in Texas. We had thought about moving there, but then I realized how dry it was out there. That and it takes more than 6 hours to get out of the state... except to get to Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  3. little company called Apple! wow congratulation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAH!!!!!!!! So glad to hear you are staying!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Jared!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny how it's the little things in life that make the difference. Communication. Trust. Work ethic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jared, your awesomeness is wanted across the US! Nice!

    I'm really glad to hear you aren't leaving...that would have been sad!! Congrats on the offer - I'm glad the Pagets will stay :)

    ReplyDelete