Sunday, December 02, 2007

Our baby vs. the world

Today in Relief Society, mom made the comment that her children's blogs were a great way to stay strong and together, and that she checked them twice a day she loved them so much. So dagnabit, I figured I needed to give y'all something to read. No interesting pictures this week, unfortunately.

Tonight dad and I played at the Festival of the Nativity at our old ward building. Playing for half an hour to a MUCH larger crowd than I had anticipated - plus a nice huge introduction at the beginning with an extensive bio - made me pretty dang nervous. We pulled it off and people seemed to enjoy it, so all the education and years of learning to fake my way through performances paid off! Dad was a trouper too and played fabulously.

Afterwards I got to help wrangle Solei with mom and Jared as we tried to maneuver the crowded halls and talked to our friends from our old ward. We saw a few people we'd known that had children around the time Solei was born and I broke a cardinal rule... I KNOW you're not supposed to compare your child to other kids, but hey, how else am I going to tell if she's on the right track? Being patient and reading books just ends up getting me all nervous.

First off - Solei is way more mobile than most of the kids I saw. People say she was an early walker, but really, she had wanted to walk far earlier than when she did, so it couldn't have come a moment too soon for her! And she seems to run a lot more than the other kids I saw tonight. She doesn't really like to stop, poor thing. And when I say poor thing, it's because we wouldn't let her run around like she wanted to (Jared stopped her from demolishing a nativity set just in time).

And second - she's getting a hang of this talking thing kinda fast. She's mastered the words "Pease??" and "Up" and "Down" and she uses them like nobody's business. It's remarkable - she knows what they mean and resorts to screaming way less than she did before she figured out the word "Pease??" meant Mommy will give me Gerber Cheetos if I say this enough!!

And lastly - she's a big kid. I'm not saying she fat or an Amazonian or anything, but she comes up to 2 and 3 year olds to give them hugs, and they only have an inch or 2 above her. Maybe we just have short friends, but regardless, she's no tiny gal. People often ask "What do you feed this kid??" and the answer is simple - milk, croutons, Gerber cheetos and pork rinds. And peas and corn, but we've calculated only 3 pieces actually get in her mouth, so they don't count. Yes, the pork rinds are Jared's fault.

I could be way off on this, maybe all kids are this vocal and mobile, but I swear the kiddos we've been running into lately have been lethargic, mute and short. Maybe I should see if I can hang out with some genius babies to give me some perspective.

(oh, and she's also the most social baby in the history of babies. But that part isn't a surprise, seeing as her mommy is a bona-fide people addict too.)

4 comments:

  1. Yup. She's only seen me twice in her life and she definitely wanted to play with my nose and petted my hair. Very sociable baby! It was good to see you guys and you played wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think this machine will let me priint DUH in large enough letters for the emphasis I want so you'll have to pretend. When you consider her parentage-of course your daughter is going to be tall, talented and sociable! :)
    Oh and tell your mom to comment dangnabit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! We do that too! Sierra doesn't really have that much to compare or brag about but the fact that she slept through the night at 6 weeks was amazing! It gives us a sick sense of satisfaction when we can tell people that and they have crazy babies that still don't sleep through the night at 18 months! yeah, our kids are the bomb so don't be ashamed that you compare. Solei and Sierra rule the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow, my crazy computer downloaded all your pictures, so now like, every other picture in my google desktop slideshow is of your cute kid. It's fun...and funny.

    ReplyDelete