Sunday, July 12, 2009

Longest Post Ever

Sorry this is so long in coming. As you will hear, this has been a whirlwind month or so. With all the interviews that I had, I only received one job offer. NUK USA offered me a position as their supply chain manager. In all honesty, this is a miracle for a number of reasons. First, the economy is horrible and everyone who is working should be very happy. Second, this job is perfectly aligned to my skill set and experience and if I do well, there is huge opportunity for me to advance and move on (NUK is owned by a huge European conglomerate called Total and they own a lot of different things). Third, did I mention the economy was horrible?

The bad parts of the job were this. First, it is in Reedsburg Wisconsin. For those of you who know us, we are NOT small town people and Reedsburg is a town of under ten thousand people. Moving from the 8th largest metro area in the USA to small-town Wisconsin: not our idea of a step up. Second issue was our home in GA. Because we were planning to stay put for a while, we bought a “fixer upper” in the best school district we could find. We had done some fixing upping, but we were far, far away from sell-ready in this market. The though of selling the home in it’s current condition and in the current market was a potential hit we could do without.

Since we were without options (and career-wise this was a good move) we got to work fixing up our home to sell. A photographical presentation is available here (thanks mom): http://monkeyseatbananashome.blogspot.com/2009/06/miracle-transition.html

It was 3 straight weeks of 15 hr days with hammer in hand. Our ward came over one night and painted. We had 20+ people painting away. We had all sorts of mishaps like breaking the water main, cutting the phone line, cutting the cable line, and some paint spills, but the end result was an amazing transformation. Our realtor could not get over how different the home looked from its previous incarnation. So, away went our things into moving boxes and then into a truck, on the market went the home and off to Wisconsin we went.

We must stop here for a minute to say, that we were crushed with the idea of leaving Atlanta and our friends. We had great friends and family close. It really was the perfect situation. We shed tears as we said good-bye and miss our friends terribly. No more free baby-sitting, Our Daughter had to leave all her little friends behind, and just when our ward started getting more interesting – off we went.

We pulled into Wisconsin on July 3rd after an unpleasant day on the road (traffic was a mess). We got our own little furnished apartment and started to get settled. We’ve tried hard to get into the community and find fun things to do the first week we were here. On the 4th there was a parade in a local town (a town with just one street and maybe 20 homes). The picture is of a huge cow that they pushed cow patties out the back of. The patties were advertising for the cow chip tossing contest coming up...

We had a blast at the ward 4th of July picnic. Our Daughter even won the contest for most patriotic outfit (the wife dressed her, I wore my commie t-shirt). We had a slip-and-slide, great food, and talked to lots of great people. The Church is a great vantage point for fireworks in Baraboo (where we live). So we enjoyed that too.






Sunday was nice, we had a nice time in our TINY ward. So small. So very small. The wife already has a calling as a primary chorister and the bishop already has two callings that he wants to give me, but isn’t sure exactly

where I need to end up. Wonderful people.

This week I spent at work and getting settled in. I manage people who have been working for the company since I was literally 2 years old. How do you manage someone who has been in the SAME JOB (not just the same company) for 25 years?? This could be challenging… Working at NUK is a lot better than the last two jobs I had. My boss is logical and progressive in his thinking. He is not overbearing and, more importantly, he is a thousand miles away. The staff at the plant is great, they are doing a great job and really need no “fixing”. The job that I have is actually a little more complex than simply managing older people. My job is to transition the entire supply chain from “Company X” (who owned the plant last year) to NUK (who bought the plant this January). It’s a HUGE job and will take a lot of work from me specifically. On the plus side, “Company X” is still performing the supply chain functions and I just need to replicate them at our facility. AND – this is a huge opportunity career-wise.

So, this week we immersed ourselves in Wisconsin culture. We went to the county fair – where Our Daughter rode her first carnival ride and was scared to tears for all but the first 20 seconds. She screamed that she wanted to go home the WHOLE RIDE. The video is funny but painful at the same time, so it most likely won’t be posted anytime soon. We had funnel cake and saw all the show animals. Best of all, it was a short 3 minute drive from our apartment.

We also went to the outlet malls. They are just 10 miles up the road. You know you live out in the middle of nowhere when you live by the outlet malls…

The Wife and Daughter went to see The Circus World Museum. The Ringling Brothers are from the town of Baraboo, where we live, and they still have a presence here. The Circus World is like a stand-alone circus. The girls saw an elephant stand on a ball (the only one in the world who can do the trick) and a tiger act.

The big event (besides us buyi

ng a car on Saturday) was going to the demolition derby. This really deserves a post of its own, but I’m lazy. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's 2 thousand words worth of pictures. Two words: It Rocked. Demolition derby is a huge thing here. It went from 7:30 to after 10pm (we had to leave to take our daugher home). We sat close enough that the big trucks actually flung dirt on us.










Here's the kiddo playing on a tractor at the fair:




Hopefully the wife will start posting again too...

7 comments:

  1. wow...you are living in a town named 'Baraboo'...which just happens to be the town the Ringling Bros are from...which has the only elephant that can stand on a ball...AND already have visited a fair, the demo derby, AND have an amazing opportunity with this job...sounds good so far! Glad to hear that you made it in one piece...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fair, a the circus and a demolition derby all in one week. Be careful not to overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - it looks like you're settling in up there... I know you'll be freaked out when it comes to winter though! Yikes! I don't think I would do well with the transition from Georgia to Wisconson!!! Whew! I hope Reva is finding enough to do to keep her busy - and I can't wait to see another belly picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least you aren't shy about embracing the local culture...
    Glad that the job doesn't suck and I hope it does for your career what you want it to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, county fairs and demolition derby leave me wondering if those "20 homes" are actually trailers, also about the selection of vehicles on blocks in the front yards ;) That said, this fellow urbanite might be willing to move to a small town for a while if it meant a decent job. We'll try to be up to visit soon! And P.S. I'm sooo happy that you wore a pinko shirt on the 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sarah5:00 PM

    oh, we live close to an outlet mall, too. Hmm. If we come to visit sometime, can we go to a demolition derby, too? That sounds like fun. Can't wait to show you around our slightly larger town...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on getting a job even if it is in Wisconsin. I'm wondering how y'all will fair during the freezing winter.
    Has the house in Atlanta sold yet? It looks like you did an awesome job on it. I'm sorry you didn't get to stay and enjoy it for a while.
    I hope your job keeps you busy and happy. And I hope your family can get into small town living. I'm sure there are interesting things going on there. Are there any big cities close by?

    ReplyDelete