And the Mormons are finding little support from the neighborhood's clergy,
including one pastor who said his objection is rooted not in architecture, but
theology.
"They don't accept Jesus as the Messiah; they accept him as the
prophet," said Edward Wilson, pastor at Church of Christ, a block from the
Mormon site. "It's wrong, I disagree with it, and I wouldn't want them in the
neighborhood."
To get a job as a pastor, those people have to at least have a graduate degree in religion - yet, I lowly religiously uneducated gal that I am know that the doctrinal issue he has with us is something he should bring up with the ISLAMIC church. That's their view, not ours. We're the flippin' Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-Day Saints! And you don't want someone in your neigborhood you disagree with? Blegh. So Jared found their church e.mail and sent a note to the offended/offending pastor:
Dear Mr Wilson,
This afternoon I read the story on the proposed new Church on 16th Street in the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/23/AR2008052302750.html?hpid=moreheadlines). Hopefully the Washington Post mis-quoted you in reference to the beliefs of members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The quote reads: "They don't accept Jesus as the Messiah; they accept him as the prophet."
Your quote could not be more untrue. My guess is that you were mis-quoted. I'd suggest contacting the Washington Post and asking them to correct the error so that you can set the record straight. Individuals so misquoted, who have failed to do so, have often lost credibility on matters of religion, and my assumption is that you are not interested in that happening.
If you were quoted correctly, I would direct you to the following website (created and maintained by the same church) which repeated attests and testifies of the divinity and saving mission of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ: http://jesuschrist.lds.org. They do not hold Him to be a mere prophet: "Mormons" do, indeed, accept Jesus Christ as the Son of God, the Messiah, the Alpha and Omega and their personal Savior. They are grateful for his mission and sacrifice and strive to live lives, showing their devotion to the Lord by blessing his children around the world.
With Love and Respect,
etc.
I hope this pastor reads this with a little more compassion than he usually does with those "untouchables" he disagrees with. This is my issue with religions where people are paid to teach others -it's a business, not a faith.
Rant over. Enjoy the holiday - go hug someone you don't agree with!
Good for you sending that e-mail. Let us know if he responds. At least you can be happy that you have informed him that we do believe in Jesus as the Savior and if he says otherwise from now on he is just plain lying.
ReplyDeleteBooya
ReplyDeletekudos to you for setting himstraight,i like how tactfully it was done. I too hope he respnds and would love to hear what happens
ReplyDeleteAnd the crowd goes wild! Excellent post.
ReplyDeleteyou should've attached a virus.
ReplyDeleteEzekiel 25:17...
If he respondes that you do not know the truth about what the Church believes, you might resond something like, "You will have a hard time convincing 13,000,000 LDS people that Jesus Christ is not their savior."
ReplyDeleteUmmm...isn't there a LAW about religious discrimination?? The country was based on people's ability to worship in any religion. The ironic thing is, while somehow this leader can get away with blatantly discriminating against a Christian religion, if they criticized a Jew or Muslim, they would never get away with it. This is just wrong. Where's the ACLU to defend OUR rights?? I love the letter you send to the guy - very well composed!!
ReplyDelete